POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow : Re: POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:12:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow
From: Micheal (Mike) Williams
Date: 20 Dec 2003 23:16:35
Message: <3fe51ea3$1@news.povray.org>
Here is just an example of POVRay being used in the real world to produce
Graphic Design. I got a project where a small company needed illustrations
of a prototype but in final production stage. The final design of the
product was not fully decided. This meant I would build one illustration and
present it. After evaluation of the model I would receive a list of changed.
Like whether the threaded lid should go on the outside or if it should go on
the inside of the body of the product. There was a group of drain spicket's
that got moved from on end of the product to the other and back again. With
all of these changes and renders building this model in any other program
would require major rebuilds for each change. But with POVRay to move the
spicket's I just change one variable and rerender. This is the very power of
the SDL. Changes could be made with out rebuilding the whole model over for
each change.

It sounds to me from reading this thread and my own experience that it is
not really the render engine that makes POVRay so powerful. It is the SDL.
Those that are embedded in the shader method of texturing clash with
POVRay's method. Yes the SDL could be updated to add more control over the
textures but one could still do anything in POVRay now that is done in any
other program. It just takes learning and spending time coding. Perhaps
someone could write another engine that used the SDL but in a different way.
Just like all those renderman compliant renderers. The POV SDL is a
standard.

And on a side note there is not IIRC a rendering engine that renders NURBS
directly. They are always IIRC converted to polygons before rendering. So to
convert NURBS and out put to POVRay is not a handicap for POVRay. In fact
POVRay handles triangles from NURBS better than most rendering engines.

Now a question of my own. Smooth_triangles and 3 norms. Do other programs
use Norms at the vertex or is POVRay unique in this aspect. Lightwave seems
to calculate based on a center norm. I have seen where Lightwave fails and
POVRay triumphs because of this difference.